If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury in a serious accident, you already know how astronomical the medical bills can be. Just in the first couple of weeks, you can rack up bills that surpass your annual salary. According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, the medical expenses for a severe spinal cord injury can top more than $1 million in the first year alone. Some victims face much higher bills.
Due to the extreme costs associated with treating a spinal cord injury, our attorneys will aggressively pursue the maximum amount of compensation from every available source. We will argue for:
- Payment for past and future medical bills: This is a top priority because spinal cord injury victims often require expensive ongoing treatment for the rest of their lives.
- Lost income and future wages: You may not be able to go back to your old job after a spinal cord injury, but you have a right to be paid as though you are still working and would have continued on your career path.
- Damage to property: If your accident involved damage to your property, such as in a car crash, you have a right to compensation.
- Pain and suffering: It is hard to put a price on pain and suffering. Most people would say it is immeasurable. However, your attorney may ask you to keep a daily journal after your spinal cord injury to document how your life has changed and to describe the ongoing pain you feel.
- Punitive damages: This is where the rage comes in again. In egregious cases, this type of compensation is meant to punish the at-fault party for what they have done to you and your family.
From a medical perspective, spinal cord injuries are extremely complicated. From a legal perspective, the same is true for spinal cord injury lawsuits. You need an experienced Virginia spinal cord injury lawyer with the courtroom skills, the resources, and the commitment to build your case and pursue a successful jury verdict.