Christiansburg Car Accident Lawyer
A serious car accident in Christiansburg can have a significant impact on your life in many different ways. You may be in pain from your injuries. You may be unable to work and losing income. Your medical expenses may be piling up. This is a stressful situation, and it can be difficult to know what to do next.
The personal injury lawyers at Lichtenstein Law Group PLC want to help you put your life back together. We’ll help you get the medical care you need and fight to recover fair compensation for your injuries. We have close to 100 years of combined legal experience, and our personal injury attorneys have earned numerous awards and honors, including a prestigious AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell for founder John E. Lichtenstein.
Our legal team is ready to help you seek full compensation after a serious accident caused by someone else’s negligence. Get a free initial consultation by calling one of our offices or by filling out our contact form.
What to Do After a Car Crash
It’s important to stay as calm as possible after a car accident and take the appropriate steps. Here’s what to do:
- Call 911—Report the accident. There may be people with serious injuries. Request an ambulance if needed. The Christiansburg police or Montgomery County Sheriff’s Department will make a report about the accident. The report will record the drivers involved and provide a basic description of the accident. You’ll need an accident report if you make an injury claim later.
- See a Doctor—Make sure you are examined by a medical professional for any injuries if you didn’t require emergency treatment. You should try to have an evaluation within 48 hours of the collision and inform the doctor that you were in a crash. Be sure to follow the treatment plan and attend any follow-up appointments. If you have been injured, save all your medical bills as evidence of the financial cost of the car accident.
- Keep Documents—Save any documentation related to the accident, such as medical receipts, medical records, pay stubs, tax forms, and vehicle repair estimates. These may be useful to show the extent of your financial losses and injuries.
- Take a Break from Social Media—You may be tempted to post something on social media telling your friends of your car accident. But that may cost you! You need to be very careful about what you say after a crash. Your well-intentioned comments may be used against you later to minimize the seriousness of your injuries or deny you any money.
- Talk to a lawyer as soon as you can. A lawyer can guide you through the injury claims process and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf. Don’t give any recorded statements to insurance companies without consulting a lawyer. An experienced car accident lawyer can stand up for you and prevent an insurance company from taking advantage of you. You have a much better chance of getting treated fairly by the insurer with help from an experienced attorney.
Common Reasons for Car Crashes
The common causes of serious car accidents in Christiansburg include:
- Speeding – Speed limits are posted for a reason. Speeding drivers have less time and space to react in an emergency situation, making them more likely to be involved in an accident. Furthermore, the faster a vehicle is moving, the harder the impact, so speed often results in more severe injuries in car accidents.
- Intoxicated Drivers – Alcohol impairs a driver’s judgment and slows reflexes. This is also true of certain legal prescription drugs, such as painkillers or sleep medications. An impaired driver may speed, driver erratically, drift into an oncoming lane or fail to recognize the need to brake before a crash.
- Distracted drivers – Too many drivers put themselves and others at risk by talking on the phone or texting while driving. Making a call or sending a text takes a driver’s eyes off the road and redirects their focus from driving. This makes a driver much more likely to be involved in an accident.
- Reckless driving – Failing to stop at signs, running red lights, making aggressive lane changes, following too closely, and other reckless actions greatly increase a driver’s chances of being involved in a serious crash.
- Mechanical defects – Defective or worn parts may not function properly in an emergency situation. This often makes the vehicle difficult or impossible to control, leading to a crash.
- Bad weather – When drivers fail to reduce their speed for adverse weather conditions, such as rain, snow, ice, or sleet, an accident is more likely to occur.
- Poor road conditions – Poorly maintained roads, broken guardrails, a lack of proper signage, and other issues may make it harder to navigate a roadway safely and contribute to a car accident. Drivers may not have adequate warning about possible traffic hazards.
Common Injuries From Car Crashes
The injuries suffered in a car accident can be severe and long-lasting. Some of the common injuries from car accidents include:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Soft tissue injuries such as damage to muscles, ligaments or tendons
- Damage to internal organs
- Neck and back injuries, such as whiplash
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord damage, including paralysis
You may have to cope with the effects of serious injuries for months, years or the rest of your life. If someone else acted carelessly or negligently and caused your injuries, then you deserve full compensation. You should not be saddled with medical debt because of someone else’s negligence. A Christiansburg car accident lawyer can help you fight for justice and full compensation.
Types of Cases We Handle
The car accident attorneys at the Lichtenstein Law Firm PLC have extensive experience handling car accident cases involving serious and fatal injuries. The cases we handle include:
- Drunk driving accidents
- Distracted driving accidents
- Rear-end accidents
- T-Bone/Side-impact accidents
- Sideswipe accidents
- Head-on accidents
- Mechanical defect accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Truck accidents
Contact a Christiansburg Car Accident Lawyer
Don’t get involved in a potential injury claim dispute with an insurance company without an experienced injury lawyer by your side. The Lichtenstein Law Group PLC will be with you every step of the way to stand up for your rights and demand full compensation for your injuries. Get a free review by calling one of our offices or visiting our contact page.