Wrongful Death Attorney in Roanoke, VA
When you hear people talk about the five stages of grief – denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance – it sounds so much simpler than it is. Especially when you have lost a loved one unexpectedly due to another’s careless or negligent behavior, grief can come in a complex wave of emotions. If you are coping with an unexpected loss and need guidance on your legal rights, contact a compassionate Roanoke wrongful death attorney at Lichtenstein Law Group PLC.
Our wrongful death lawyers have almost 100 years of combined experience representing families of victims who have died in a fatal car accident, other catastrophic accidents, or to medical negligence. We recognize that no amount of money will replace your loved one, and unfortunately, we often see cases where an insurance company is pressuring the family to take a low settlement offer when they are at their most vulnerable.
Our seasoned wrongful death attorneys in Roanoke, VA are dedicated to shielding your family during this emotional time and making sure you understand your right to seek full and fair compensation in a court of law for the wrongful death of your loved one.
Let Us Help With Your Wrongful Death Claim in Roanoke
The horrors of a catastrophic car accident or motorcycle accident can haunt victims for a lifetime. For those who lose their lives, though, it’s their families who are tortured by the long-lasting grief and painful memories of a loved one’s life cut short. If someone else’s careless or negligent behavior caused you to lose a family member in a car accident, you can trust the compassionate wrongful death lawyers at Lichtenstein Law Group PLC to fight for justice for you and your family.
We know that there is no amount of money that could undo the damage that this accident has inflicted on your family. But cases of wrongful death in Virginia often leave families in tremendous financial ruin, caused by medical expenses, funeral bills, and the lost wages of a loved one’s career. Our dedicated wrongful death lawyers have almost a century of combined experience working with families who have lost loved ones in catastrophic car accidents. Time and again, we have successfully battled insurance companies and other responsible parties in court and in successful negotiation to win full and fair compensation for families left devastated by the loss of their loved one.
Families are often most vulnerable to insurance company settlement pressures following a wrongful death. Settling early at the encouragement of the at-fault driver’s insurance company is fraught with danger. If you have lost a family member or loved one in a fatal car accident and are being pressured by an insurance company to take a wrongful death settlement offer for your Roanoke, VA wrongful death claim, contact the seasoned attorneys at Lichtenstein Law Group PLC to make sure that you and your family are receiving the full and fair recovery provided by law. Settlement may be appropriate, as may be the filing of a Virginia wrongful death lawsuit, to educate the company at issue that it must deal with you fairly and that it may not take advantage of you during this vulnerable time.
Schedule a free consultation now to discuss how we can help your family pursue the justice you deserve from your wrongful death claim.
Why Your Family Needs a Lawyer After a Fatal Car Accident
In Virginia, the laws governing who can recover damages after a car accident are very strict. As one of very few remaining “contributory negligence” states, Virginia law provides that if your loved one contributed to the occurrence of the wreck or to his own injuries, that your family be barred from any financial recovery in a wrongful death law suit.
A ruthless insurance company may try to use this law to wiggle out of properly compensating the families of victims. That is why it is extremely important to have an experienced wrongful death lawyer on your side to aggressively argue on behalf of your loved one in a wrongful death claim.
At Lichtenstein Law Group PLC, our wrongful death lawyers in Roanoke, VA have the experience and the resources needed to take your fight for justice to court.
- We will put every available resource into your case. Our dedicated trial lawyers will track down the key evidence, interview all eyewitnesses, and call on our vast network of experts to evaluate and when appropriate to testify in your case.
- We will thoroughly prepare for a trial, not a settlement. We firmly believe that maximum compensation in wrongful death cases comes from extensive trial preparation. In some cases, all of our preparation forces the other side to offer a full and fair settlement in the months, days, or even hours before we go to court, but we always operate and prepare from the commitment that we will take your case to a judge and jury.
- We will stand strong and shield your family when you’re at your most vulnerable. Our attorneys respect first that you and your family are dealing with an indescribable loss. We will shield you and not allow an insurance company, or anyone on the other side, to harass you during this most difficult time.
Who Can Recover Compensation After a Fatal Car Accident in Virginia?
If you have lost a family member in a fatal car accident, you may be able to file a wrongful death claim in the Virginia court system.
Virginia law outlines who can file a wrongful death claim and how damages can be divided:
- First, the person’s spouse, sons and daughters, and under certain circumstances grandchildren and other relatives, are entitled to file a claim.
- If the person was not married and did not have children, then a claim could be sought by the parents, siblings, or another relative who was dependent upon and living with the person.
- If the person had no children or grandchildren, both a spouse and parents would be able to seek damages.
- If the person did not have any immediate family, Virginia state law would dictate the next family member who would be eligible to file a wrongful death claim.
What Types of Compensation May a Family Recover?
When a family loses a loved one in a catastrophic car accident, there is a void in their lives that can never be filled. Unfortunately, that loss also comes with financial pressures as family members scramble to make funeral arrangements and sort through often tremendous medical bills and lost wages.
In a Virginia wrongful death claim, our attorneys can argue for:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Payment of medical bills
- Lost wages and benefits that your loved one would have earned or received over his or her lifetime
- Compensation for your family’s sorrow, loss of companionship, mental anguish, and solace
- Damages to property such as the vehicle involved in the crash
- Punitive damages, when applicable, to punish the at-fault party for reckless disregard of your loved one’s life.
When you schedule a free consultation with our compassionate Virginia fatal car accident lawyers, we will go over all your legal options and discuss a plan to pursue the full and fair compensation the law provides for your loss. You should also know that we will not charge you anything upfront to take your case. Instead, we work on a contingency fee basis, which means there is no legal fee unless and until your family recovers compensation.
How Long Does a Family Have to File a Virginia Wrongful Death Claim?
In Virginia, a family generally has two years from the date of their loved one’s death to file a wrongful death claim. Although that may seem like a long time, the sooner you contact an experienced wrongful death lawyer, the better. This is particularly important in Virginia because the time limit that controls a specific case can be very different depending on the circumstances of the case. For example, if a government vehicle is involved, there may be notice requirements which if not given, will legally bar the case from being brought. Here are other circumstances, for example including cases involving children, which create very different time frames required for filing.
Another reason for quickly contacting an experienced wrongful death lawyer is because as time passes, evidence from the car accident can be swept away and witnesses’ memories can fade. A skilled trial lawyer will need to get to work on your case as soon as possible to thoroughly prepare your car accident wrongful death claim for court.
We will not rush you into doing something you are not emotionally ready for, but we do believe strongly that you and your family deserve justice. Contact our compassionate Roanoke Wrongful Death Lawyers whenever you are ready to take the next step. Let us shoulder the legal burden of protecting your family while you focus on the grieving process.
Schedule a Consultation with a Roanoke Wrongful Death Lawyer Today
We won’t pretend to know what you and your family are going through. But we can offer a compassionate ear and a team of sharp legal minds and committed and talented staff to guide your family through the legal steps necessary to protect you and your loved ones.
When you are ready, call us. With compassion and with an experienced eye for the law that will govern your case, the wrongful death attorneys at Lichtenstein Law Group PLC, will act with the goal of full financial recovery that can protect you and your family, and help you navigate your future.
Call or fill out our online form to schedule your free consultation.